I made this last night using only things I already had in the fridge and pantry. It was soooo yummy, and could be altered to include anything you have at home. If you don’t have the ingredients listed here, don’t worry, just add whatever else you have. Roasted capsicum (peppers), fresh mozzarella cheese, marinated/grilled eggplant or sautéed mushrooms would work really well. The whole recipe really only takes as long as it takes for the pasta to cook. It could also be made vegan by omitting the parmesan cheese at the end (I didn't use parmesan anyway) and using a pesto that doesn't have any cheese in it.
· dead easy
· serves 2
· enough fettucini for two people
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
· 1 small red chilli, sliced thinly
· 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
· ½ cup marinated artichokes
· 10 black olives, pitted and halved (or throw them in whole if you can’t be bothered pitting them)
· 2 tablespoons pesto
· 2/3 cup readymade tomato pasta sauce
· a few torn fresh basil leaves
· freshly ground pepper and salt
· parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)
1. Cook the fettucini in plenty of salted, boiling water according to packet directions.
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a frying pan over low-medium heat and fry the garlic and chilli until soft.
3. Add the cherry tomatoes, artichokes and olives to the pan and fry for another couple of minutes to let the flavours all meld together.
4. Add the pesto and tomato pasta sauce and simmer for a minute or two until warmed through.
5. Drain the pasta and add to the pan, stirring to combine. Check for seasoning. Serve with parmesan cheese, if desired.