· serves 4
· 5 tablespoons olive oil
· 1 large eggplant, quartered and sliced thinly
· 1 large onion, chopped
· 2 garlic cloves, chopped
· 1 large 800gm tin crushed tomatoes
· freshly ground pepper and salt
· 2 tablespoons capers
· ½ cup fresh basil leaves
· enough pasta for 4 people
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over a medium heat, and fry the eggplant in batches, adding more oil as necessary, until they are golden brown and tender. Set aside.
2. Saute the onion and garlic in the remaining olive oil until soft and tender – don’t let them brown. You want them to retain their sweetness.
3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to packet directions in plenty of salted boiling water.
4. Add the eggplant back to the pan, along with the tomatoes. Simmer for 10-15mins (the longer you simmer it for, the richer and more developed the flavours will be), adding some of the pasta cooking water if it gets a too dry.
5. Taste the eggplant/tomato sauce for seasoning. Add the capers and the basil leaves. Serve over the pasta.